For a larger photo (except the Blind House), click on the thumb photo displayed below.

The Poynder fountain  stands in the middle of the village and is of a Gothic/Victorian design

The Blind House  This grade 2 listed building is also a Scheduled Ancient Monument and is situated in the High Street adjacent to the Queens Head pub.

For a detailed interesting description and history of this building
click < HERE > (a three page PDF file)  Courtesy of Alan Payne and the 'boxpeopleandplaces' website team

The Pound  A small oasis in the centre of the village. Also a grade 2 listed location it was previously used for impounding stray animals pending collection by their owners who were charged to get them back!

The Box (Church of England) school in the middle of the village was built in 1875.
Every hour and half-hour the clock in the tower chimes until 10pm
when silence reigns until 7am.

The Manor House Originally the 17th Century Manor Farm owned by the Northey family who were considerable landowners. It is now a private house.
The Public Toilets  Its original use was the stabling of horses for the coaching inn (Queens Head) on the opposite side of the road.  REGRETTABLY these toilets have been closed by Wiltshire Council (2010).  In 2014 the building was sold to the owner of the adjacent building and the whole is now converted into a dwelling.
 A public toilet is now available during the day
in the Sports pavilion on the recreation ground (almost opposite) - which is provided by the parish council
Box Railway Tunnel   Built by the legendary Isambard Kingdom Brunel in 1841 as part of the Great Western Railway which ran (and still does) from London (Paddington) and Bristol (Temple Meads).
The tunnel was carved out of the hillside of ‘Bath’ limestone by hand. Hundreds of workers stayed in the parish during the construction.

The ‘Lovar’ water garden on the northern perimeter of the recreation ground was constructed in 1998 from waste land purchased from a farmer and Railtrack (Network Rail). It provides a level surface enabling the less able to take a short walk in beautiful surroundings. A small island sits in the middle of a ‘moat’ which is home to a number of invertebrates and other wildlife. One edge is bordered by the Bybrook river.  Generous grants were made by the Lovar Foundation, a charity, to make this project possible. It is a great asset to the people of Box, especially the children who find the pond wildlife appealing.

The ByBrook valley in the snow of late December 1999 (looking west towards Bath)

The Box Valley seen from the top of Kingsdown (looking north)

A Bybrook Valley sunset  (looking west towards Bath)